This article was last updated on the January 2, 2017.
Occasionally we will receive questions from users about bbPress and how it is integrated with X. We’ve put this article together in hopes that it answers many of the most commonly asked questions by our users so that they can have a better understanding of how bbPress is supposed to work within the X ecosystem.
What is bbPress and How is it Used Within X?
As their site puts it, bbPress is “…forum software with a twist from the creators of WordPress. Easily setup discussion forums inside your WordPress.org powered site.” bbPress is quite flexible in that it allows users to setup and use forums on their own, or it can be used with BuddyPress for a more thorough integration.
X features fully integrated styling and functionality for all native bbPress components. This styling is setup to be as flexible as possible so as to potentially accommodate any additional functionality added by third party plugins, but support for bbPress is strictly limited to native components as we cannot reasonably account for all possible scenarios or supplemental elements.
Supported Version: v2.5.4
bbPress is a very extensive plugin. To ensure that all content output and functionality is as streamlined as possible with X, numerous templates and files have been overwritten and/or integrated into the theme to be customized as we see fit. Because of this, users must ensure that they are using the supported version of bbPress with X. The current supported version of bbPress is v2.5.4, as noted in the title above. If a newer version of the plugin exists, it is strongly encouraged that users do not upgrade as they run the risk of elements not working. While this isn’t necessarily a likely outcome, it is certainly possible, which is why we strongly advise against updating until we have been able to ensure compatibility as we cannot provide support for an unsupported version of bbPress when used in conjunction with X.
Do keep in mind that while we have this version currently listed out as our supported version, we do our best to ensure that we keep bbPress as up to date as possible. That being said, the following is just a couple of the reasons why we have a supported version of bbPress:
- Stability – Newer versions of software do not always equal greater stability. Oftentimes there are undiscovered bugs that are introduced with certain versions and are unknown until the product has been released to the public for some time. The version of the plugin that we support is more or less guaranteed to work without any issues as we take a great deal of time to test all functionality thoroughly before releasing it along with the theme.
- Template Files – As mentioned above, bbPress contains numerous templates, which are responsible for the output of content on various pages. When integrating a plugin into a theme, sometimes it is necessary to update and/or completely overhaul the markup of these templates so that they can more easily conform to the conventions of the theme. In the case of X, dozens of these overwritten templates reside within the bbpress directory in the root directory of the theme. While our overwritten templates should work fine with future updates of the plugin, the possibility of new templates that need adjustments or fine-tuning of current templates is certainly a possibility. Because of this, we ask that users only utilize the supported version so that we can ensure things are in order for your website.
Because of these reasons (among others), ensuring that you are utilizing the supported version of bbPress should allow you to utilize the plugin on your site without any issues. As always, there is the possibility of potential conflicts with other third party plugin developers, which as our support policy states we will not be able to handle if that turns out to be the case.
Understanding certain features and how to utilize them is something that is very important if you hope to take full advantage of the bbPress plugin. While we have integrated the plugin with our theme and have used it in a selection of demos, it is recommended that you direct any questions you have about the plugin to the provided online documentation as it will more thoroughly address any matters you would like to know more about with the plugin.
Hopefully the information provided above has helped you to gain a better understanding of what to expect from utilizing bbPress within X. Ultimately, there are a few things to take away from this article:
- The version of bbPress supported by the theme is a modified version of the plugin, and we have added some features of our own to the theme that work in conjunction with the plugin to enhance its functionality.
- We do our best to ensure that the version of bbPress supported by X is as up-to-date as possible; however, this might not always be the case based on the reasons listed in the “Supported Version” section above, which includes stability and template files.
- Any questions concerning the usage of a bbPress feature should be directed to the online documentation referenced in the “Documentation” section above.